About Me

My photo
This is a blog about two crossfitters who have decided to embarq on a crazy challenge!!! :) We have decided to do paleo zone for 30 days...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

In case you're wondering why we're doing this...

Well here's Cassie's side of the story anyway... I still don't really know why on earth Krista agreed to do this with me but I'm SOOOOOOOOOO grateful that she did!!!!!! :)

Let me start way back, about 3 years ago (this month) my boyfriend passed away from cancer. I was totally freaked out by having to experience something this traumatic at such a young age. I was overweight and distraught. So, since I was not sure how I was going to handle his death I decided that I had to better myself, so at that point in time I started trying to lose weight and become healthier. Never having been an athlete ever in my life, or been into the gym or working out I knew it was going to be a struggle to say the least.

Also recently have started a new job I was making new friends and getting by to say the least, I started with changing my eating habits slowly and doing cardio, which consisted of walking with my friend Lea at night, or doing Zumba classes with my sisters.

Then, my friends at work, Adam & Danielle told me about this crazy gym they had joined called "Sin City Crossfit," I used to look at the website with them and think how amazing it was but always telling myself that I couldn't do it. Finally Adam and Danielle talked me into trying a class at the gym in the summer of 2009, because the first class was free. Well I did it and basically went home in tears!!! The workout kicked my butt sooooooo bad!!! I was so out of shape it was crazy. I couldn't bend my legs for 4 or 5 days, and I couldn't even jog the 400m warm-up lap around the gym. I was angry because I felt so defeated. You walk into this gym full of beautiful and ripped men and women... it is so intimidating!!! Girls doing pull ups like nothing and lifting heavy weight like it's nothing. I was scared. I didn't think I would ever go back, in fact, I made up my mind that I wasn't going back. (Well not at least until I was in shape!!!!) Well Adam and Billy (trainer) kept telling me I could do it and that I should come back, I was NOT going back, not now NOT ever. But then Adam said to me, knowing full well how messed up my mind is, "Well I guess that's fine Cassie, Crossfit isn't for everybody!" And boy was he right... crossfit ISN'T for everybody!!! It's only for those who want to push themselves beyond anything they've ever thought possible, only for those who are strong (mentally), only for those that want to live healthier lives! And that was it, I've been hooked ever since!!! I won't get into the sappy details about how much I've accomplished at the gym, but I've made pretty impressive strides.

Fast forward a little bit, the gym is an AWESOME place for me mentally and physically!!! The gym has such an amazing supportive team of members. The trainers lie to me all the time and tell me I'm doing good (even when I'm DEAD last in the class!), The other members also push me everyday too. Everyone is nothing short of amazing and supportive (with the exception of one member sometimes, not going to mention any names). I've become such good friends with the people at the gym and even Killer Kell pushed me until I puked all over her & Jera one day.

Anyways, to make a long story short, Jen C took me under her wing in June of last year (2010) and really helped me learn the zone to the best of my ability. She also started helping me with my running and lots of other things as well. Since starting the zone last year I lost 20 lbs and improved on many things at the gym, but especially my running. I even ran my 1st 10k last year!!! :) Jen C has helped me in so many ways, sitting down with me preparing goals, having patience with me, etc. She runs with me at a pace that I know is MUCH slower than she's probably comfortable with, but she does it for me, and I appreciate that. (Thank you Jen- love ya lots!)

So I've had slow but steady progress with the zone and have done well with it, but have always had diet soda as my crutch to giving up everything else. Well a couple of weeks ago I was struggling with front squats and having ate it on box jumps the week before my leg was still all bruised. I was feeling defeated and worn out, Billy said why don't you try paleo then?

So, here we are!!! :) It's January and Krista & I have lost our minds!!! LOL. I know the benefits (well I hope) of sticking to this for at least 30 days will pay off, but it's NOT easy. I am back on strick zone / paleo with no caffeine!

I owe my huge improvements to all the amazing trainers and members at SinCity Crossfit. I'm so grateful for everyone's support and patience with me. The countless hours that Shain, TJ, Billy, Krista, Bobbie, Jen C, Patrick, etc. etc. etc. have spent with me. THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!! :) Love you all.

- Cassie

3 comments:

  1. Great job Cassie, I'm very proud of you! You are an inspiration to many. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel & Adam!!! :) Love you guys. - Cassie

    ReplyDelete